Thursday, April 18, 2013

Thursday= Quiche Night!


Tonight we had one of our favorite dinners ever!  I mean, even our toddler eats this and he hates veggies. It's so good, if you make this it will become a regular dish for your family too!

Frozen veggies and carrots are both on sale at Publix this week and there isn't much else involved, so give it a try!

WAIT!  Are you ready for the best part?  There are only 184 calories per serving (8 servings per quiche and it makes 2).  Well, that's using the monteray jack cheese, I used mozzarella because it's what I had!  That's a low calorie count for a quiche, I would know, I have looked for one that's less!

Ingredients:
2 pie crusts
1 onion, diced
2 boxes frozen spinach, thawed
1/2 cup diced carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 eggs
2 cups monteray jack cheese (I used mozzarella)
A little or lot of red pepper flakes
A little or lot of ground nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Put the onions in a skillet and cook until tender.  You could use a tablespoon of oil here, but I didn't.  Add the carrots, spinach, and garlic and cook until the juice is gone from the spinach.

Remove from heat and add the eggs and cheese.  Mix.  Add the red pepper and nutmeg.  I only add a little because my toddler will be eating it, but the original recipe calls for 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper flakes.  You can also add salt and pepper, but I don't.  Stir.

Divide the mixture between the two pie crusts.  It won't fill them entirely, but they will puff up a bit while cooking (see my picture above).

Cook in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

We eat one and freeze one for a busy day.

I based this recipe off of Spinach and Carrot Quiche.  4.5 stars and 55 reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment