Wednesday, April 24, 2013

French Dip and Cheesy Squash and Zucchini Casserole

Dinner last night was French Dip and Cheesy Squash and Zucchini Casserole.

I know, I know, this is the wrong bread for French Dip.  Well, the truth is that we had it the night before and used up the bakery bread, this is potato bread.  I can say, though, that potato bread is still good with French Dip!

Here is my French Dip recipe:

4 lbs rump roast
1 packet onion soup mix
1 can or bottle of beer
1 can of beef broth

Place all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for around 7 hours.  I also added 1 cup of water with my onion soup mix, though I don't think I needed to with all of the other liquids.

For the beer, I used Florida Lager.  It was super good and I felt a little bad using it on a roast, but it turned out really great, so it's ok!
 
 
 
Next up is the Cheesy Squash and Zucchini Casserole, based on this recipe.  I would compare this to mac and cheese, but without the pasta.
 
Ingredients:
1 lb yellow squash, sliced
1 lb zucchini, sliced
1/2 onion chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Bisquick
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter
1 tablespoon sugar
10 saltine crackers, crushed
Breadcrumbs as topping
 
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Add squach, zucchini, and onion and cook until tender, around 15 minutes.  Drain and pour into large bowl.  Add the cheese, Bisquick, eggs, butter and sugar and mix.  Fold in the crackers.  Place in large casserole dish and top with breadcrumbs.  Cook in preheated 325 degree oven for 30 minutes.  YUM and super cheap thanks to Publix deals this week!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment