Friday, April 12, 2013

Friday Night, Salmon Night!

Tonight was going to be steak and shrimp night, but I switched it up!  Instead we had salmon.  Salmon was on sale this week at Publix for $6.99 per pound.  I found a recipe on allrecipes.com called Grilled Salmon I.  If you read my post the other night, you would see that I have never made fish before and I was a little intimidated that I would ruin it, so with that thought in mind I read through lots of the comments on the recipe.  This is a 5 star recipe with over 2,400 reviews, so there was a ton of info to read.  I found one commented that said you can make this in the oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.  The poster wrote that you can bake them in foil packets with a little extra room for air inside.  I figured, why not?  By the way, salmon fillets were on sale.  Did you know that a salmon fillet STILL HAS THE SKIN ON IT?  I didn't know that and since I was already feeling in over my head it scared me!  All was ok though, I realized there is a fillet knife in the knife set, so I got to use it for the first time! 

The recipe on the site is for 1 1/2 lbs of salmon which is 6 servings.  Since I knew we would never eat that much, I only made half.  I used the foil packet method and threw them in the oven on a cookie sheet and guess what?  It turned out amazing!

Here's the recipe I used:

Season 3/4 lb salmon with lemon pepper, garlic  powder, and salt.

Stir together 1/6 cup soy sauce (I used reduced sodium), 1/8 cup brown sugar, 1/6 cup water, and 1/6 cup vegetable oil.

My salmon had skin, so I went ahead and cut it off.  I wasn't sure if I should cut the skin now or after cooking, but I thought it would be easier before since it gets flaky after cooking.  I would do it this way again in the future.

Place the salmon in a freezer bag along with marinade and turn to coat.  Allow to marinade in the fridge for 2 hours.

This is where I did my own thing.  I didn't grill the salmon, but instead I preheated the oven to 425 degrees and cooked it on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes.


The salmon turned out great.  We agreed that we would make this recipe again!  I recommend it!

For sides, we had salad and creamed spinach.
Salad was 2 for $4.00 this week at Publix and Ken's steakhouse dressing was BOGO.

Creamed spinach was BOGO two weeks ago.  We used the brand Birds Eye creamed spinach.  When I sent my husband to the store to get frozen spinach for a quiche, he came home with this.  I had never had creamed spinach before, so I had no idea what to do with it.  We ended up trying it as a side one night and loved it, so we stocked up!  It's easy to make because it comes in a container that you toss in the microwave for 4 minutes.  Even our 19 month old likes it- a miracle!  Our toddler didn't like the salmon or the salad though, so that was a bummer.
Tonight's dinner was a success!

I learned an important lesson too, my phone doesn't take great pictures!!  Time to get out the real camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment